Mayo Clinic has been recognized as the best hospital in the nation for 2021-2022 by U.S. News & World Report. We are the largest, integrated, not-for-profit medical group practice in the world with over 60,000 employees working in a unique environment that brings together the best in patient care, groundbreaking research and innovative medical education. At Mayo Clinic, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect, and most importantly, a life- changing career!
The Department of Critical Care Medicine at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida is seeking a Neuro Intensivist to deliver world class care to complex neurologic and neurosurgery patients at its Destination Medical Center campus. Successful candidates will be expected to provide exceptional patient care in a multidisciplinary setting, contribute to excellence in the education of residents/fellows in the Neurosciences Intensive Care Unit and demonstrate exceptional teamwork with advanced practice providers, nursing and all care team members. Board Certification in both Neurology and Neuro critical care and the ability to obtain an unrestricted Florida license is required.
1. Ideal qualifications include the following:
* Five or more years of experience in the management of complex hospitalized ICU patients, as well as experience with common ICU bedside procedures.
* Experience in the use of bedside ultrasound for patient assessment and procedures.
* Advanced cerebrovascular and cardiopulmonary physiology, hemodynamics, and ICU monitoring
* Strong interest in a career in academic medicine with proficiency in education and teaching of medical learners (medical students, residents, and physician extenders/advanced practice providers).
* Ideal research interests include Outcomes Research, Big-Data, Telemedicine,Tele-ICU, Information Technology, Predictive Analytics and using Quality Improvement Tools. Individual research interests in the ICU setting are encouraged as well.
* Management of routine craniotomy cases as well as severe and complex neuro/neurosurgical cranial and spine cases as well as severe and complex neuro/neurosurgical cranial and spine cases with potentially severe comorbid conditions requiring multi-organ management (e.g., ARDS, renal failure, super-refractory status epilepticus, refractory intracranial pressure, etc)
* Candidates should expect the following:
+ Function as part of the Neuro Critical Care team in Neuro/neurosurgical ICU team setting.
+ Neuro Critical Care coverage:
o 1 Attending Physician within a 24 hour coverage model, not in-house but availability within 20 min to be in house required by the Joint Commission Comprehensive Stroke Center Neuroscience ICU designation.
o 1 Advance Practice Provider in-house 24/7 covering 12 hour shifts.
+ Provide supervision, admission staffing, and clinical education to residents, Internal Medicine, Neurology, and Neurosurgery residents as well as pulmonary and neurocritical care fellows.
+ Position will work an average of 12 x 24 hr shifts per month
2. Expected Skills:
* Excellence in communication skills, verbal and written.
* Experience and expertise managing clinical aspects of neuro/critically ill patients.
* Excellent medical professionalism and bedside manner for patients and caregivers.
* Emotional intelligence to collaborate and coordinate with multiple aspects of the health care team, including nursing, APP's, trainees, surgeons and other departments while guaranteeing a patient-centered approach.
* Able to lead a multidisciplinary team in an academic environment, lead conflict resolution, and lead change management and quality-improvement initiatives among teams.
* Good steward of healthcare resources
This is a full-time neuro critical care position. Candidates must have both ABPN neurology board certification, UCNS or CAST-SNS neurocritical care certification with eligibility for ABPN neurocritical care certification within the next 12months.
We are interested in those applicants that are at least Assistant/Associate Professor level Intensivist with a minimum of 5 years of neurocritical care experience. Candidates must have a strong commitment to an academic career, and previous experience in research is preferred. Successful candidates will be expected to provide exceptional patient care in a multidisciplinary setting, contribute to the education of trainees (medical students, residents/fellows, APRN/PA fellows) in the intensive care units, demonstrate teamwork with APRN/PA known as Advanced Practice Providers (APP) and contribute significantly to increase research productivity within the Critical Care, Neurology/Neurosurgery Departments.
The ICU at Mayo Clinic in Florida is a vigorous 54-bed unit with several subspecialties that cares for a broad array of medical and neurosurgical critical illnesses in support of a quaternary hospital. Skill sets related to advanced neurocritical care care including high clinical diagnostic acumen of challenging and academic complex neuro/neurosurgical cases, as well as experience in telemedicine , transcranial doppler, EEG, ICP monitoring, lumbar puncture, lumbar drains, intubation, bronchoscopy, percutaneous tracheostomy, and multimodal monitoring are preferred. This opportunity provides a robust challenge for the neuro intensivist with these two different board certifications.
Candidates must be eligible for an unrestricted Florida license. Candidates must have both ABPN neurology board certification, UCNS or CAST-SNS neurocritical care certification with eligibility for ABPN neurocritical care certification within the next 12 months.
Jacksonville is the largest city in area in the continental United States. A beautiful coastal Florida city that features excellent year-round climate, over 20 miles of beaches and outstanding outdoor recreational, cultural and family-oriented amenities. The “River City by the Sea” has an excellent school system, reasonable cost of living and a thriving business environment. Medical professionals and patients are drawn to Jacksonville by an extraordinary network of high-profile healthcare facilities. Jacksonville continues to grow as more people relocate from all over the U.S. and abroad, to see what the great River City has to offer!