APP Neurosciences Nocturnist
Neurosciences Consult Nocturnist
is recruiting for a Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner
to join our neurocritical care and neurovascular team on our Piedmont Atlanta campus. Will apply specialized skills and knowledge to consult on Neuro ICU and Neurovascular patients in the ICU, ED, and Floor inpatient services. Contributes to excellence in patient care, research, teaching, and consulting.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of building a comprehensive stroke center program and grow the neurosciences service line with the vision to become the highest quality and largest program in Georgia. We have embarked on a 10-year expansion, starting with a new, 16-floor tower that will increase our capacity to care for our patients. This new tower will house up to 408 beds and 13 new operating rooms, for a 22% increase in Piedmont Atlanta’s capacity to care for patients and the community.
The service line includes neurosurgery, neuro hospitalist and neuro intensivist services with a dedicated 10 bed neuro-ICU unit and thriving spine and brain tumor programs. A brand new 20 bed dedicated neuro-ICU unit, will be constructed with anticipated completion in 2021 with expansion to 42 beds in 2022.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct clinical services for neurologically ill adult patients within institutional guidelines and utilizing evidence-based clinical practice standards under the supervision of the patients’ physician.
- 2Obtains patient health histories and completes physical examinations and documents findings in accordance with hospital requirements.
- Orders and interprets appropriate diagnostic and laboratory tests, explaining the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of procedure(s) to patients, patients’ family, staff and healthcare learners.
- Performs approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based upon patients’ clinical status and documents procedures in accordance with hospital requirements.
- Performs clinical duties including:
- Participate as a first assistant on procedures.
- Assessment of physiologic parameters of respiratory function: pulse oximetry, end- tidal CO2, pulmonary mechanics, and blood gas sampling.
- Assessment of physiological parameters of cardiovascular function and hemodynamic status to include, but not limited to: EKG, blood pressure, esophageal/precordial auscultation, central venous, peripheral, pulmonary arterial and intracranial pressure, core temperature
- Placement and removal of central venous and/ or peripheral catheters, pulmonary arterial catheters, External Ventricular Devices (EVD)
- Lumbar puncture
- Placement and removal of chest tubes
- Interfaces patients with monitoring and instrumentation equipment, and directs and educates others in performing the same functions.
- Formulates and implements a treatment plan for acute illness management in collaboration with the designated primary supervising physician and/or attending back-up physician(s) and documents in medical records and appropriate narrative summaries.
- Assesses patients for changes in status and institutes appropriate interventions, including initiation of necessary emergency interventions to stabilize patient.
- Incorporates clinical research findings in the development and implementation of standards of care.
- Supports IRB approved clinical research/trials though a variety of activities including but not limited to: obtaining consent; ordering diagnostic tests; recording laboratory and diagnostic results; administering therapeutic interventions; and documenting and reporting patient outcomes including toxicities or adverse events.
- Performs and participates in quality/performance improvement activities and clinical research.
- Serves as a clinical expert and education consultant to nursing, members of the healthcare team and to the larger community.
1-2 years of neurosurgical experience with a high degree of clinical judgmentMinimum Qualifications:
Masters, Bachelors Degree from an Accredited PA program and National Board Certification
Licensed as a Nurse and approved to practice as a NP by State of Georgia with National Certification