Neurocritical Care APPCompany:
Massachusetts General HospitalDepartment:
Neuroscience Intensive Care UnitPosition:
Looking to advance your career and join a growing team of advanced practitioners in the neuroscience intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston?
Hiring for multiple NP/PA-C positions to grow an established group of APPs on the neurocritical care service.GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Division of Neurocritical Care (NCC), in collaboration with the Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit (ICU), provides comprehensive, compassionate, and technologically advanced patient- and family-centered care including the most advanced diagnostics and treatments, education of future leaders in the field, quality improvement initiatives, and clinical research to develop new therapies.
Under the direction of the Associate Medical Director and the Nursing Director of Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit and NCC division leadership, the Nurse Practitioner is accountable for the delivery of consistent, high quality patient care. The Nurse Practitioner develops, implements and evaluates a program of specialized health care for a select patient population. Promotes a collaborative relationship and effort between the medical staff and professional nurses toward continuity of patient care and efficient use of resources. Serves as a role model for professional nursing practice.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct care to a select patient population in collaboration with the physician.
- Performs and records the patient history and physical exam and discusses findings with the physician.
- Utilizes advanced nursing knowledge to identify, prevent or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems.
- Follows and manages patients (in collaboration with MD) enhancing continuity of care.
- Performs (oversees/assures completion of) specialized procedures particular to the select population mutually agreed upon with collaborating physician.
- Performs medically delegated aspects of patient care as agreed upon by nursing and medical administrators according to practice guidelines.
- Collaborates with unit staff and physicians to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordinate resources.
- Writes orders which are in accord with current guidelines.
- Maintains and practices in accord with practitioner guidelines per state and hospital regulations.
- Provides consultation to both nurses and physicians.
- Serves as a resource to staff in area(s) of expertise.
- Serves on appropriate intra and interdepartmental committees.
- Participates in the development of formal and informal educational programs for the unit-based nursing staff.
- Develops educational programs within area of expertise.
- Collaborates with unit staff, Clinical Educators, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Staff Specialists and other health care professionals to meet staff and patient educational needs.
- Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
- Collaborates with medical staff, nurse managers, clinical nurses and to plan, implement and evaluate pertinent change in practice and health care delivery.
- Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay and over utilization of services.
- Facilitates patient movement through the system and efficient use of resources through interdepartmental collaboration.
- Supports research efforts to advance knowledge and to promote research-based practice.
- Evaluates own practice and program effectiveness.
- Identifies pertinent nursing and health delivery problems for investigation.
- Evaluates current research findings for clinical specialty and determines applicability to unit practice.
- Assists nursing and medical colleagues in research efforts.
- Conducts own research.
- Responsible for own professional growth and maintenance of required credentials.
- Maintains the standards and educational requirements specific to the position and licensure.
- Identifies own learning needs and goals.
- Takes responsibilities for leadership and participation on committees and task forces of the DON and the hospital.
- Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current health care practice/research.
- Current Massachusetts licensure as a registered nurse and current certification as a Nurse Practitioner granted by a Board recognized certifying organization.
- Master’s or Doctor of Nursing from an accredited nursing program.
- Prescriptive authority for controlled substances in MA (MCSR.)
- DEA registration for controlled substances.
Demonstrated competence in specialized area.WORKING CONDITIONS:
Position will be on a 24/7 inpatient unit.EEO Statement
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.Primary Location
MA-Boston-MGH Main CampusWork Locations
MGH Main Campus 55 Fruit Street Boston 02114Job
Advanced Practice NurseOrganization
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)Schedule
RotatingPosted Shift Description
Position will be on a 24/7 inpatient unit.Employee Status
MGH NeurologyJob Posting
Jan 14, 2021Contact First Name:
ChristopherContact Last Name: