Medical Director - Neurocritical Care Intensivist
The Director of Neurocritical Care
Mercy Hospital of Buffalo, a community hospital, located in Buffalo, NY and part of Catholic Health, is seeking a Medical Director for Neurocritical Care Intensivist/Neurointensivist Role. The Medical Director (Director) of Neurocritical Care will lead the development and execution of NCC services within Mercy Hospital of Buffalo through clinical standardization, definition of scope of services and detail scope of practice for clinical providers. Working closely with Nursing, Neurosurgery and Neurology as well as Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cardiology, Neurological Surgery, Vascular Surgery, General Surgery, Emergency Medicine, Internal and Critical Care Medicine, Radiology, Rehabilitation Medicine, Palliative Care and Hospice Medicine. The Director will forge relationships to streamline care of critically ill patients according to evidence-based practice and a patient centric model.
This is an excellent opportunity to work in conjunction with a multi-specialty critical care program, supported by skilled staff. Central to this role is the oversight and teaching of all critical care Advanced Practice Practitioners (APPs), providers, fellows, medical residents, nursing and ancillary staff.
KEY JOB FEATURES
• Employed – Hospital
• Full Time
• Competitive Salary & Benefits
• Arrival Bonus
• Relocation Allowance
KEY POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
• The Director of Neurocritical Care (NCC) at Mercy Hospital is a part-time physician leadership role in which the physician also maintains full time clinical NCC status (minimum 10 days clinical service per month, on average) at CH/MHB. He/she will lead and manage NCC physicians and APPs from multiple disciplines, but mainly the NCC nurse practitioners (NPs). In addition he/she will serve physicians and APPS from multiple specialties in the treatment of critically-ill patients. The Director will foster a collaborative environment in the care of the critically-ill patient at MHB and will liaise with critical care and other professionals within Catholic Health. As a leader, the physician will be expected to model collaboration, stability and patience with all staff.
• The Director is responsible for coordinating clinical activities and resources for the NCC Service specific to their expertise as well as effectively lead in the NCC conferences/meetings, NCC/stroke/neuroendovascular/critical care/neurosurgery peer review process, and timely responding to issues therein as needed.
• Works to maintain all pertinent NCC accreditations and designations
• In addition to the leadership role, the physician will provide clinical services as a Neurointensivist in the treatment and management of patients with complex diseases requiring intensive care.
• In the clinical role, the Director will provide coverage of neurocritical care, non-operative intracranial hemorrhage and collaborative efforts in the care of perioperative neuroscience patients.
• Demonstrate ability to implement and maintain an inpatient neurocritical care service.
• Helps develop and co-manage step down unit(s) (when open).
• Assures 24/7/365 coverage of the Neuro-ICU service by qualified physicians, responsible for all physician schedules and on-call schedules. The physician will participate in the continuum of care for patients from ER/OR/endovascular suites (neuro/cardio/vascular)/PACU/outlying hospital into ICU, and to the stroke unit, med/surg floor, and discharge, as needed. Works with transfer center on transfer logistics and triage to build volume appropriately.
• The Director and his/her staff should will participate in hospital, system wide, local, and regional education and outreach to healthcare facilities and providers, to include Shared responsibility, supervision, and reporting (with the Stroke Medical Director and Neuroscience Service Chief) of all PI metrics required by The Joint Commission as it relates to the Comprehensive Stroke Center.
• Participates in CHS departmental and divisional activities as appropriate
• Development, implementation, and improvement of performance and service metrics as it relates to NCC
• Graduate of an Accredited School of Medicine
• Board Certified in Neurology or Internal medicine
• Board certified in Neurocritical Care
• Completion of Fellowship in Neurocritical Care
• CPR Certified
• ACLS Certified
• ENLS Certified; ENLS certified clinical instructor preferred
• Demonstrates excellent communication and customer service skills
• Minimum five years of experience as a NCC provider is preferred
• Minimum three years leadership experience in NCC setting is preferred
• Candidate must have current, unrestricted New York State license or NYS Licensure in progress and active on date of hire
• The candidate must have current, unrestricted Federal, and as needed, State prescriptive authority.
• EPIC EMR experience preferred
MERCY HOSPITAL OF BUFFALO
Established in 1904, Mercy Hospital of Buffalo is a tertiary care center that offers the highest level of stroke and heart care. It is accredited by the Joint Commission to treat the most complex stroke cases, and the hospital houses the Catholic Health Heart Center, providing a full range of cardiac care services including heart surgery. Mercy Hospital serves as a Joint Commission-accredited Comprehensive Stroke Center with physician experts and capabilities to diagnose and treat the most complex stroke cases. The hospital is also home to the state-of-the-art Mercy Emergency Center featuring 32 private treatment rooms and a rooftop heliport. Mercy Hospital of Buffalo also has the Family BirthPlace providing a full spectrum of maternity/child services and a neonatal intensive care unit.
Work with renowned surgeon, Lee Guterman, MD, PhD
Work in an ever improving facility, recent renovation plans include:
A new addition of 20,000 square feet of OR space
A new MRI suite in an 8,100 square-foot addition
Work in top rated facility:
Mercy received the National Research Corporation (NRC Health) Excellence Award for Large Hospitals – 300+ beds (over 700 hospitals in that category). The reward is given to organizations for their commitment to enhancing care experiences.
Mercy’s critical care nursing team earned the Beacon Award for Excellence by the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN).
Mercy Hospital of Buffalo is an American Heart Association/JACHO Comprehensive Stroke Center.
Mercy Hospital is a Stroke Gold Plus Quality facility per the American Stroke Association/American Heart Association
Mercy Hospital is a 5 Star Hospital for the treatment of Respiratory Failure
Mercy Hospital of Buffalo received the American College of Cardiology Platinum Achievement Award
Is an integrated health organization serving the Western New York area from the Canadian Border to the Pennsylvania State Line
Offers care from over 70 locations, including 5 hospitals
Provides acute, outpatient, ancillary, cardiac, vascular, women’s and orthopedic care
Has over 8000 employees
Has over 1500 affiliated physicians
WESTERN NEW YORK
Buffalo is located in Western New York State and is a beautiful waterfront city that offers all four seasons with numerous outdoor recreational activities and an active lifestyle all year round. Buffalo and Western New York provide many of the large city amenities such as theater, great food, excellent schools, great cultural events, without being encumbered by high costs, traffic and overcrowding. It is currently experiencing a rebirth and revitalization, which has changed the landscape as well as the opportunities for fun.
1. Is #10 in the USA for least expensive places to live.
2. Has an average commute of 20 minutes.
3. Enjoy 24 performance Theaters
4. Browse over 40 Museums
5. Boasts an amazing Olmsted Park System
6. Has incredible architecture
7. Features outstanding quality restaurants, with strong variety and easily accessible.
8. Has over 100 direct flights daily for easy travel.
9. Has only 4.25 hours of ground stop annually at the Airport.
10. Is the City of Good Neighbors.
Interested applicants should reply with a current CV and a cover letter (with salary requirements) to the attention of:
Bridget Conti, Physician Recruitment, 144 Genesee Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
Contact First Name:
Contact Last Name: