The Neurocritical Care Society has always taken pride in how we seek and encourage inclusivity; it is our international nature and our multidisciplinary nature. Even looking across our NCS volunteer leaders, we are proud to have a diverse collection of individuals who can represent so many perspectives. This is what makes NCS strong.
To integrate our commitment to diversity into the culture and fabric of our society, we developed the NCS Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement:
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core attributes of the Neurocritical Care Society. Our goal is to cultivate an environment where everyone is welcomed and included, based on the firm belief that diversity is valuable and fosters innovation that enables us to achieve our mission; to serve our members as well as addressing the needs of an increasingly diverse society. The Neurocritical Care Society strives to support its members in providing high quality and equitable care for the patients and communities we serve. We also aim to support all members in their research, collaboration, training, education and advocacy efforts.
To realize this goal, the INCC Committee's charge is to:
- Enhance leadership and research opportunities for individuals underrepresented in neurocritical care
- Develop strategies to expand outreach and explicitly identify qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds to serve and thrive in the Society
- Collect membership diversity demographic data with a goal of 30% complete demographic collection the first year
- Use the above to drive key metrics for underrepresented individuals and establish benchmarks to track year-over-year improvements
- Establish with the NCRC the infrastructure to study disparities in healthcare for underrepresented neurocritically ill patients
INCC will strive to create a DEI model to build and maintain a diverse society in discipline, demographics and years of service. We encourage you to reach out to any of the leadership in INCC or NCS if you want to be involved in this important initiative and committee.
We are continuing to develop resources, strategies, and programs to realize the NCS DEI Statement.