***ENLS Version 4.0 Is Launching in October***
The Emergency Neurological Life Support (ENLS) Course is designed to help healthcare professionals improve patient care and outcomes during the critical first hours of a patient’s neurological emergency. ENLS demonstrates a collaborative, multi-disciplinary approach and provides a consistent set of protocols, practical checklists, decision points, and suggested communication to use during patient management of the following 14 neurological emergencies:
- Approach to the Comatose Patient
- Intracranial Hypertension and Herniation
- Airway, Ventilation and Sedation
- Resuscitation Following Cardiac Arrest
- Acute Non-Traumatic Weakness
- Acute Ischemic Stroke
- Intracerebral Hemorrhage
- Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
- Spinal Cord Compression
- Status Epilepticus
- Meningitis and Encephalitis
ENLS is designed for all health care providers who may encounter or provide care for patients with neurological emergencies in the first hour of their emergency care, including paramedics, emergency department physicians, critical care physicians, neurosurgeons, nurses, pharmacists, medical students and resident/fellow trainees.
After completing each ENLS topic, the learner will be able to:
Each topic also has specific learning objectives unique to the topic that students will master.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of the neurological emergency,
- Perform a focused neurological exam and calculate the Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) score,
- Rapidly implement the recommended management protocol, and
- Effectively communicate pertinent medical information to the accepting health care provider.
The format of the ENLS Course is as follows:
Modules (14 total, one for each protocol). Each includes:
- Learning Objectives and Protocol Summary: broad overview of the topic, with algorithm and checklists
- Manuscript: research-based, published article of the topic
- Lecture Slides
- Lecture Video
- Certification Quiz: multiple attempts allowed, as well as re-takes after passing
- this form is available after
each quiz is passed with a score of 70% or above
Certificate - available after the Feedback form is submitted
Upon successful completion of the ENLS Course, individuals are ENLS-certified for two years. They retain unlimited access to the ENLS course materials for the duration of their enrollment (two years). Certification can be renewed by completing the ENLS Recertification Course, which includes medical updates .
Continuing Education Credit
Upon successful completion of the ENLS Course, individuals are eligible for up to 15 continuing-education hours. Click here for additional accreditation information.
Purchase ENLS Courses